MA Application Process
Application site: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission
Application opening date: Sept. 15, 2017
Application deadline: Dec. 1, 2017
Deadline for supporting documents: Dec. 8, 2017
The program has one start date per year, in September.
Required Application Documents
- The online application form and fee;
- Statement of Academic and Professional Goals: You may upload a document or use the space provided in the application form. Be sure to include a description of your proposed research, aims and orientations. Be as specific and precise as possible. The quality of the statement is of great importance to your application.
- Sample of academic writing: Upload via the application site. Most applicants submit an essay, or portion of one, written for a previous course. The writing can be on any topic. A length of approximately 10 pages is recommended.
- Three letters of reference from academic sources. The on-line application includes a place for you to enter your referees’ institutional e-mail addresses. When you submit the application they will automatically be sent a secure link through which they can upload a reference letter. Reference letters can be uploaded until Dec. 8th;
- Transcripts: You will be asked to upload scans of your official transcripts with your application – please be sure to include the grading scale for your institution (often on the reverse side of the transcript). It is not necessary to send official, paper transcripts until you receive an offer of admission;
- Test of English Proficiency (if applicable). The Institute uses minimum scores set by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. You need not write if you have completed a degree at an institution where the primary language of instruction was English;
- For Canadian Permanent Residents only: a scan or photocopy of your PR card (may be uploaded with your application).
After submitting the application, you (and your referees) may continue to upload supporting documents until the Dec. 8th document deadline. You will not be able to make changes to the application itself after submitting it.
For further information about application components and required documents, visit the Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies. An online checklist at the application site will provide you with information about which of your documents have been received and which are still outstanding.
Ms. Wynn Archibald
Graduate Programs Assistant